Europa-List: Re: aileron balancing

Subject: Europa-List: Re: aileron balancing
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 08:33:40

Rowland,

We added an aileron trim motor in the stbd aileron.  This made it quite heavy
and
we used tungsten carbide from McMaster to achieve balance.

BTW we tried lead balls embedded in epoxy but we could not get the density of
solid
lead.  There is a lot of open space between spheres!

The increase in weight (20%-25%) from filling, profiling and paint seems
excessive.
Perhaps you can color sand much of it off.

We color sanded all our painted surfaces.  There is good information on the 3M
website about doing this and we used 3M products.  There also is a good book
available from EAA,
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/media/aviation-books/2256137300000__how-to-paint-your-own-airplane
  The articles are also in back issues of Sport Aviation, around 2005.

Hope this helps.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here: