Europa-List: Aileron LE Vee layup

Subject: Europa-List: Aileron LE Vee layup
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 06:40:39

Hello to the Europa community,

I am making good progress on my XS and have the two ailerons skinned. A little
slow due to vacation and work travel but getting there. I am in the process of
doing the layup for the leading edge vee cutout for the aileron hinges (step
5) and I have a question:

Can you do this layup with a single length of 45 biased BID or do you need to
splice
two pieces? BID can be stretched (with corresponding change in fiber bias)
but its generally acceptable up to point. I starter with 6-5 inch wide strips
but at a final 4 inches wide I am just a hair short of the full aileron length.
It's possible that a wider piece may do it but I am starting to feel I am
pushing it too hard. Just trying to see what people did since the manual makes
you believe a single long piece will be enough (no mention of splicing or
cutting
more than two full length pieces).

BTW, I do have a web site where I am documenting my build.  Will make the
address
public soon!

Thanks,
Chris