RE: Europa-List: Cowl mods for front belt driven alternator

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cowl mods for front belt driven alternator
From: m.j.gregory@talk21.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:06:05
I would urge caution on anyone thinking of removing material from the mono
swingarm to lighten it. I was up at Kirkbymoorside some years ago when Roger
Bull was asked about this, and he pointed out that the swing arm is a
component that can be very heavily loaded, especially in a crosswind
landing, and he did not recommend putting any lightening holes in it.

Any UK owner would be well advised to consult the LAA before taking any such
action, as this would definitely require modification action and not be
permitted simply with the approval of the local inspector.

Regards,

Mike

Dr Mike Gregory

Europa club safety officer