Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank

Subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank
From: nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 19:55:31
Hello Bill,

I'm a bit late getting back on this one but as others have said, I built
a tank out of 5251 quarter-hard magnesium alloy.
It weighs 7850 grams and has a capacity of 110 litres.
I incorporated internal baffles, and breathers with proper AN fittings
to accommodate alloy pipework. It is also fitted with a full length
capacitive probe and four solid-state optical fuel level sensors.

http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=28719

The only advice I would offer is: allow yourself a long time to make and perfect
your cardboard templates - the fuselage is partly conical in section so the
development will be an interesting shape. Choose a welder based on his ability
to weld alloy and don't fall into the trap I did of restricting yourself to a
CAA approved welder whose self-belief exceeded his ability!

Nigel