Europa-List: Re: Northolt connections

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Northolt connections
From: JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 00:40:02

Hi!  I know nothing about Northolt, but it does indeed say in Pooleys that it's
not available to civilian single engine aircraft so I guess that (unless you
know someone to slip a few quid to!) then sadly that's a show stopper in this
case.

But as a principle, being in the Heathrow class A CTR would not be a problem
itself.
VFR flight is not permitted in any class A airspace but SPECIAL VFR clearance
can be requested for entry into any CTR irrespective of the class of the
CTR.  This special VFR procedure is an "authorisation by ATC for a pilot to
fly within a CTR even though he is unable to comply with IFR requirements" and
can be used to fly to an airfield within, or transit a CTR.  Note this applies
specifically to CTR's (Control ZONES) and NOT CTA's (anything else such as
TMA's,
CTA's, airways etc).

I have several times when flying N or S past London obtained a SVFR clearance to
route through the Heathrow CTR; Burnham - Ascot seems to work well.  Clearance
is often not above 1000'.  You don't need to file a flight plan but you MUST
obtain clearance from Heathrow radar.  It's usually empty and seems much safer
than the corridor of hell around the outside of the CTR at 2400'!

Nb. Some small airfields within the London class A CTR (eg. Fairoaks, White
Waltham
etc) have specific special agreements for "Local Flying Areas" within the
CTR.  Flight within these areas are still technically considered SVFR flights
but clearance from Heathrow is not required (and indeed is not obtainable).

In the case of, for example, flying to Vallance near Gatwick, SVFR is not needed
because Gatwick CTR is class D airspace so we can obtain a VFR clearance to
enter there.  It's only to enter class A CTR's that SVFR clearance is relevant
and required - another example being to enter the channel islands class A CTR.

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono

Read this topic online here: