Europa-List: Re: Viking Aircraft engine

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Viking Aircraft engine
From: bill mcclellan <wilwood@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:18:01

Thanks for the many replies and good points.  One point, Peter, can you
elaborate
and/or direct me to further explanation regarding the supposition that the
Viking Honda rubber coupler/dampener doesnt do what it is supposed to do?

I am in the final stages of my build and (as it is my way) I am now reviewing
and
making the decision on which path I will take to finish my fwf.  I certainly
am no stranger to making build changes and wont fool myself by under estimating
the extra work that can be created.  For me the design and development of
a new cowling, an engine mount, cooling configuration, etc., though time and
thought
consuming are within my scope and very doable tasks.  I would just have
to decide what I would outsource and what I would do myself.  I do confess, I
am in the camp that Fred and Paul refer to.  (And gratefully my Europa build
has not kept me from flying...only kept me from flying my Europa.)  I think/hope
these fwf decisions are my final sidetrack.

Notwithstanding the fact that Europa is built to mate to the Rotax, the cost of
a Rotax is very hard for me to stomach.  The cost now is $35k+ for FWF with a
914, and then afterwards the cost of replacement parts are just as
objectionable.
I do feel the experimental airplane and LSA environment will provide
increasingly
better alternatives.  No one really likes being in a situation with
few alternatives.  Eventually someone will demonstrate there is a good or better
alternative and I wouldnt mind making such contribution.

It is not only the Viking Honda I am looking at.  I was aware of (and even more
aware of now) Jon Eggenfellner's history with Subaru engines.  It just makes
the point that one has to do ones own due diligence.  Many of us rememberit
wasn't
a happy day when Europa went out of business, especially if you, like me,
still had some parts undelivered.

Getting past my displeasure with the cost of the Rotax - probably the most
restrictive
imperative and priority is keeping the engine weight within limits (ideally
below 200 lbs).  But from there, if its not too much ask for, here's my
engine wish list: Fuel injection, electronic ignition, turbo-charging, the
consistency
of full engine liquid cooling, all allowing a constant speed prop and
good fuel economy.  At this, the 914 scores pretty well, so some would argue,
just go spend the money...but, I haven't given in just yet.

Bill McClellan
A164 XS

Read this topic online here: