Re: Europa-List: Cooling issues, once again!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling issues, once again!
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 21:18:13

On 06/05/2010 08:38 PM, Mike Parkin wrote:

> I have a standard XS 914 installation.  In the early days I had a problem
> with cooling until I lowered the oil cooler  in accordance with the build
> manual.

Ok, this is in line with other experiences. Thanks for sharing this.

> I refer to your email dated 2 Mar 2009, your theory and confidence was most
> impressive.

I was waiting for this to pop up. ;-) No problem at all, I'm still
behind it, I just feel somewhat mislead by the strong suggestion of the
manual that the oil cooler behind the water radiator is the standard
setup for normal climats, and I followed that guideline. Granted, I
should have known better.
Anyway, if I write something on this forum, it is "sharing knowledge"
and not a competitive attempt. I will as easily explain why I divert
---From the manual some times, and as easily seek for help on this forum if
I experience problems. I don't really care about ego, so I find it
somewhat humorous if an attempt to receive some experiences from others
is answered by an answer like yours.

> Perhaps Ivan, Andy and Neville at Europa had a better clue than you give
> them credit for.

IF their original setup, with the non-lowered oil radiator as the
factory manual calls for, works better than my current setup. And that
remains to be seen...
At least it looks like my claim to have better aerodynamics might be
true, with a cooling system that performs, let's say, not worse than the
factory setup with the radiators in the "standard" configuration. ;-)

Well, I will split up the oil and water radiator, as apparently everyone
has done, and then we can do the comparison again. ;-)

> If I was one of the boys, I might be tempted to send you a big piece of
> 'Humble Pie'.

If I was one of these boys, I would be tempted so as well, IF my work
was a masterpiece of enginering, well thought out, working in hot
climates AND cold climates, and with no excess drag, and with even
cylinder temperatures. However, it looks like the standard factory
setup, with the coolers in series, is not exactly the best solution for
everyone.

So, have some fun about me. It is not the first time people laugh about
work in progress. Finally, I might end up with an improvement over the
factory setup, in both aerodynamics and in cooling capacity. Goal 1
appears to have been achieved already. I consider solving problems as a
privilege of building the airplane yourself, and you can't have it right
the first time everyime.

Frans