Re: Europa-List: cockpit module alignment /control column

Subject: Re: Europa-List: cockpit module alignment /control column
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:34:49

Raimo Toivio wrote:
> I cannot achieve full aileron movements port/starboard because my cc hits to
my fucken thighs.
> I do not know what to do. David B advised me: let it be and accept this
> limitation.
> Until this day that is the best thing I can do. Ideas? Remove inner muscles
> from
my both thigs?

Why not change the ratio of one the various levers in the aileron
system? Of course more aileron action with less stick movement will come
at the price of more force required to move the ailerons. But people
with big thighs have usually big muscles. ;-) Most likely you don't have
to change much, probably repositioning a hole a few millimeters will do
the trick. I would probably go for the aileron quick connect bellcranks.
Obtain/create new ones, and reposition the push rod hole slightly closer
to the pivot point. You then have more aileron action with less stick
movement.

Another idea is to arrange more space for your lower body, so you knees
get lower. This is what I did. I made two new levers for the rudder
pedals, so the control cable is connected 2cm further from the pivot
point. Since the rudder movement is fixed to 31 degrees, this means 2cm
less pedal travel between both extremes. In neutral, this has the effect
of the pedals being 1 cm closer to their lower limits, hence I extended
my leg space with 1 cm, which has a remarkable effect on the position of
my knees, and thus maximum control column movement.

--
Frans