Re: Europa-List: Ducatti Rectifier/Regulator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ducatti Rectifier/Regulator
From: GTH <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 00:36:43

Bill Henderson a crit :
> For what it's worth, I got John Wigney's rectifier/regulator when his
> died and disected it.  Only parts I could find bad were the two
> rectifier diodes (MR2510) and they are directly mounted to the heat
> sink.  You can't repair though as the whole thing is potted and you
> basically tear it up when you open it.......

Hi all,

For what it's worth, I made some investigation with the help of a
friend, and opened a few failed Rotax regulators.
It appears that the more power you draw from the regulator, the higher
the junction temperature, and the more likely the failure.

Bob Nuckolls provides a nice circuit proposition for the Rotax
alternator/regulator, with overvoltage protection.
I personnally would and did shun the Rotax circuit proposition.

Also, I would like to point out that the alarm lamp is driven by the
regulator, and so can't be expected to provide any degree of protection.

Some pictures and thermal info here
http://contrails.free.fr/elec_ducati_en.php

Best regards,
--