Re: Europa-List: Pneumatic Installation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Pneumatic Installation
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:16:13

Hi Bruno

"Ron, are you sure that the position of the Europa device is too far back?
> Hundreds of Europas are flying with this system very successfully."

I know of no Europa that is flying successfully with a AOA probe in the
factory position. True there are many Europas flying with pitot and static
in the factory position, but AOA is a different beast.

If you read the Dynon install manual for the AOA it tells you the position
they want you to install it. They are also advocates to only use their
offered outrageous probe.

I am not certain that the AOA will not work in the factory position. I
plan on trying mine first in the factory position where I know at least I
have at least a pretty good chance of an accurate airspeed indication.

Off topic a bit but to tune a factory static port, an O ring can be
installed, I think neutral is ~ 1" aft of cross drilled holes, more
forward increases pressure, more aft decreases pressure (I may be a bit
off on neutral point??)

Back to AOA, I would suggest you try yours in the Factory position and
please let me know how well it works. My gut feeling is there is a chance
it may give some useful AoA information, but not complete.

For me if Factory position gives unacceptable AOA info, after I learn how
to fly with semi accurate airspeed info I will move it along with my pitot
and static to my new more forward position and deal with getting pitot and
static happy again. I am not thrilled to fly a new plane I am unfamiliar
with with airspeed and static that may be a lot more whacked than if it
were in Factory position.

You see the Dynon learns your airplane when you go into their learn mode.
For AOA it is a pretty simple concept, the more direct the air flows into
the AOA probe, the greater the pressure. Best location is 3 or more feet
in front of the lead edge of the wing where it is in free undisturbed air.
Dynons location they depict for location has it close to lead edge on
bottom where air has yet to be very disturbed at high AOAs. On the Europa
factory position it is aft of the spar, at very high angle of attacks
there will be more pressure compared to free air in front of lead edge and
not only that the air will become deflected and begin to follow the bottom
of the wing to make AOA not as accurate as out front.

Bud likes the idea of installing a very long removable AOA so it remains
in tact on ground and gives accurate info in the air.

Sometimes no matter how smart you are, your prediction that something will
not work can be wrong. I for one am willing to give the factory position
for AOA a try knowing full well that at best it may only spew out some
useful information, not work totally accurate. If that is the case then I
thought it a worthy cause to plan for it not working when the tops of my
wings are still off.

Yes it can be moved more forward with top of wings on, just much more of a
job.

Please let us know your results.

Ron P.