Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Tailwheel fairing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Tailwheel fairing
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:09:57

Paul - you remember  correct.
Maybe that is because we belong to the same club: EEC (Europa Electrocute Club).
BTW my name is Raimo not Ramio...

Tim - after one single take-off from gravel I lost plenty of tail wheel
painting.
That is because a prop is a powerful sandduster.
I have a dark painted fairing so it was immediately ugly looking.
The fairing is also very weak - so after many gravel take-offs I assume whole
fairing
will broke.

I covered its front surface by 3M 08210 film anti-abrasion = car body adhesive
tape.
It is designed to protect cars surface against little stones & sand hit in
critical
places.
It is transparent - so almost invisible and so my fairings colour is still
"black
cherry".
If you have white (like all "good" builders have) fairing, it is even more
important
to protect because you cannot see those hits so easily.
The film cover is very strong but when it starts to broke, it is easy to see and
tape it again.

I use same material in the sides of the undercarriage to prevent rubbing when
trailering.
Also I taped those areas where the doorss shooting bolts will hit if forget them
into locking position when closing the doors. Almost all Europas have lost the
painting in those areas (except my Europa  ;) ).

Raimo
OH-XRT,  voluntary grounded so far (fucken lightning strike tried to beat me but
did not succeeded