Europa-List: Re: Europa accident G-HOFC - PFA comment

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa accident G-HOFC - PFA comment
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:37:03

Finklea,

I am sorry indeed about your brother and Ken.
I am always grateful for information which allows me to improve
flight safety! I imagine your friend at the NTSB can not say anything now
we do not already know about that fateful incident.

As has already been mentioned here, the Rotax engine is not
demonstrably better or worse in its safety design than other aviation
engines. Its modern high performance alloys are offset a bit by the dual
carburetor setup which allows a desynchrony failure mode.

A full tank of gas does not help if it is switched off, or if junk clogs the
filter or the carbs, or if the mechanical fuel pump fails, or if the airbox
equalization tubes dislodge, etc, etc, etc.

Please know that this group (for the most part) is grateful for information
and will evaluate what is presented dispassionately.

Condolences,

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here: