Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73

Subject: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73
From: Rémi Guerner <air.guerner@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:11:02
Graham and Mike,
I agree. Mod 73 is a very poor fix for a bad design. I like the idea of he
single
tube with a flange.
I am also concerned about relying on a single pip pin to secure the tail plane
to the aircraft. As there is no way to visually check that the pip pin is fully
engaged and the balls are protruding below TP6, a pull test would be highly
desirable. A special plier would be needed  for that pull test.  Alternatively,
a big recess on the underside of the tail plane would allow an uneasy  visual
inspection with a flashlight. The rear wing pip pin can be checked that way.
Moreover I like the idea of a back up tail plane locking device such as the
spring loaded lever.

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel,  912S, Airmaster, 487 hours

From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73

Mike
I agree with you. A simple redesign would be to make TP5 and 6 one
single tube, with lightening holes, weld a flange on it that bolts onto
the inside of the root rib. Relying on a bond between epoxy and
stainless steel is not sensible. imho
I still wish we knew more about what went wrong with G-HOFC though.
Graham