RE: Europa-List: Fuel filters

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel filters
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:58:27

Fred,

Not wanting to beat the topic to death, but my experience was the same as
everyone else's. that is to say despite all the care I took in vacuuming,
washing, flushing and so on, my gascolator pulled out a surprising amount of
crud.  It was roughly equivalent to the size of two sugar cubes over the
first 25 hours.

So, what ever fuel system you settle on, be very cautious in the early
flight testing phases.

Just as a reminder, according to the FAA, More than 70% of engine failures
in homebuilt aircraft are due to fuel problems, and half of homebuilt
aircraft suffer a reduction or complete loss of power in the first 10 hours
of flight.  Very sobering statistics.

Regards,  Paul