Re: Europa-List: Fuel flow for 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel flow for 914
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:27:52

Hello David

"> Can anyone recommend a fuel flow measuring system for a 914 (ie one
that
> measures supply and return flows), preferably using Floscan Transducers?"

I am not flying yet, have a analogue UMA 1+1/4" fuel flow gauge with EL to
match the rest of my engine instruments. I had 3 marks put on the face
~75%, 100% and 115%, I will be glad to share the dart throw numbers I
chose if you are interested. The face can be changed if I missed by too
much.

I have enough glass in panel, Dynon D10A, and 296 Garmin, for engine
monitoring I am much more comfortable following trends and evaluating data
with needles, just call me old fashioned.

Anyway the UMA comes with a 201B, and I used a Matronics FuelChec (tm)
Return Flow Controller that comes with a 201B to subtract the return from
FPR to tank. If real world flow numbers are not quite accurate enough, Ed
can recalibrate instrument.

Just a side note, I have a Europa mechanical float style sender in my tank
(8 stations). Instead of using the round VDO gauge, I had UMA make a
custom 1+1/4" gauge with EL in 1/8 increments, have yellow at 1/8 to 1/4
and red from 0 to 1/8. If by chance anyone is interested I will share the
ohm data for the 8 points. Such a stupid simple devise, 8 reed switches
and a magnet on the float, the reed switches have a built in hysteresis so
bouncing between stations should be minimal, Europa seems to have
calibrated the stations to match the shape of the tank (stations are not
same spacing, so i assume they did their homework) and cares not about
water, type of fuel and gives me a pseudo inspection hole I can semi look
into tank.

You can get UMA in 2+1/4 and probably 3+1/8. With the 2+1/4 and 3+1/8 you
can get a low and high warning light if you wish, or since it is simple
analogue driving the gauge on the fuel and fuel flow, could build your own
warning light circuit fair easy.

If you want a piece of glass with more buttons and functions, you may want
to look at Matronics, and JPI Fuel Scan 450.

http://www.matronics.com/
http://www.umainstruments.com/newTwo1.htm
http://www.umainstruments.com/

This is a down-loadable UMA Catalog:
http://www.sunav.com/uma-electronic.pdf

Sharon is the gal you want to talk to for Sales, and Ed is the Engineer.
Very easy folk to deal with. They exchanged my supplied with FWF MP gauge
for one with proper markings (slight charge). After mounting 2+1/4" engine
instruments (MP, Tach, and Differential) which matched the rest of panel
2+1/4" stuff that is using UMA EL Light rings, found out "No good" since I
can not view them straight on, the light ring obstructed a bit too much
view of the gauge. No problem, sent back and had installed internal EL,
now things are much more better!

Ron Parigoris