Re: Europa-List: bouyancy

Subject: Re: Europa-List: bouyancy
From: Jan de Jong <jan.de.jong@xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:20:51

I'm also intrigued because I'm finally getting close to putting the lids
on my XS wings and now there may be just one more and very last thing to do.
If and when I reach a positive decision that there is not that will be
fine. I can do a little more filling and sanding of flaps and ailerons
in the interim.

In theory one could just close off the space forward of the XS wing
spar. The only remaining task would then be to assure pressure
equalisation for those times one wants to fly instead of float. I
thought of:
- Tubing from wing root to fuselage roof
- Float valve at wing tip
- Multiple, redundant, tubing to fuselage roof
- Construct close-off as weakpoint (safety valve)

Difficulty is knowing quality of any 1-off design.
Safety lost could easily exceed safety gained?

B.t.w., maintaining pressure equalisation will probably be an issue with
foam filling as well, I'm thinking.

Jan de Jong
461