Europa-List: Dodgy Regulator - Update

Subject: Europa-List: Dodgy Regulator - Update
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 18:22:40

Team

On Friday my GR6 Rectifier-Regulator (RR) arrived from
Schicke in Germany.

I fitted it yesterday and test-taxiied at high power.
Today I flew it to Conington and back.

This was all generated by my purchase of a new RR at the
beginning of the year after my original failed at 175
hours. The new RR (and all three other new RRs that I
tried) made my analog ammeter oscillate from 1 - 10 amps
at 5700 rpm and from 1- 5 amps at 4600. At the same time
two older RRs lent by other kind souls  worked fine with
no oscillations.

There was an implication that I had a wiring fault in
G-OWWW. Nigel Beale's solution was to "disconnect the
ammeter" :-( I did not find that acceptable.

I did use the 'faulty' RR for about 30 hours and I covered
up the ammeter, almost, to avoid distraction.

Today with Herr Schicke's RR there were no oscillations.
It worked right !

So, although four faulty RRs seems to be unlikely it is
actually true. I suspect that Ducati have changed the
circuit (or are using a different poorer quality
component) about 12 months ago.

I have asked here and on the Rotax Engines list for anyone
with experience of a new RR with an analog ammeter. I was
looking for either "yes I have an oscillation" or "no I do
not have an oscillation" when they had used a new RR. I
had one response from Australia but his engine was now out
of commission for another reason and he couldn't further
confirm his position. I had not a single comment, yes or
no, from anyone else. So I rather assume that no one fits
my description.

I am going to stick with the GR6 for now. I have told
Nigel Beale that he needs to get the new RRs checked as he
is sending out with new engines RRs which will give him
grief when the builders finally start them up.

I will post his reply. I am not hopeful that I will
achieve any progress. Too expensive an implication if they
confirm my findings :-(

I have done my part with my tests over the last 9 months.I
would recommend anyone who needs to replace their RR to
buy from Herr Schicke. The GR6 is and isn't a direct
replacement for the Ducati item. Yes it comes with 5 male
fastons which can be plugged directly into the black
plastic Ducati connector. However the size is larger, and
the wires provided are a bit short. I am going to make up
an adapter to allow me to carry a Ducati as a spare until
such time as I invest in a further GR6.

In the circumstances, after my comments I don't suppose
anyone wants to buy a Ducati RR from me :-) ?

Richard Holder
G-OWWW
High Cross

PS Buying from Schicke in Germany involves sending a money
transfer as he does not accept credit cards. He charges 20
euros for the postage on any number of RRs, so a group
order would be sensible.