Re: Europa-List: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:03:44

Rob and all,

>  why add the weight and risk of a carbon monoxide sucking muff when
> there is already ample warm (hot?) air available aft of the water and
> oil coolers?

Right on the money.

> What the Europa factory forgot was the necessary ducting to get warmed
> air into the cockpit.  Anyone interested can contact me off list for
> the details of how I ducted warm air from aft of the two coolers,
> unheated air from the 914 turbo air inlet, and mixed (or not, as
> desired) the two prior to being ducted into the cockpit.

In our 914 project, I took advantage of the warm air behind the
radiators to warm the cockpit. Simple, litght and efficient, and since
the radiator duct is separate from the engine compartment, zero CO ppm
were found during flight tests.
You need a properly designed radiator duct, though.

FWIW,
Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France