Europa-List: Sad News

Subject: Europa-List: Sad News
From: Robert Berube <bberube@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:42:05

Some sad news today losing one of our own.  Toni Stephan called me to let me
know that her husband Hal was killed last week in a crash of his Grumman.
Hal was a Europa XS Monowheel builder with both long and short wings and
spent time with us at Flight Crafters working on his project.  She indicated
that Hal was on a test flight checking repairs that had been made.  Normal
takeoff and starting a left turn at about 500 ft something happened.
According to preliminary investigation, the FAA is looking at wind shear due
to the climatic conditions at the time.

Our condolences to his wife Toni and his family and friends in the
Minneapolis area.

His project is for sale and is complete with both sets of wings done,
fuselage done, 914 installed.  All that needs is finish/paint, some work on
the panel.  It includes a 24ft. enclosed trailer that will carry both sets
of wings and fuselage.  As soon as a price is established, I will post it
for her in the event anyone is interested.

Regards,

Bob Berube