Re: Europa-List: Cooling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:47:46

Karl,
        The design of the Mono-wheel landing gear produces much stuff
where the air leaves the cowling.  This restriction causes the engine
compartment to over heat when on the ground for any length of time.  The
Tri gear has no such stuff in the way of the air which is leaving the
engine compartment.  Thus, the tri gear remains cool almost to the point
of too cool.  Providing enough area (sq inches) to let the air out is
very important.  So I separated the two systems.  Put the oil cooler
(smaller original oil cooler) on the engine directly so lines can be
connected and nothing has to move about.  Provided the oil cooler with
its own air source.  The area under the spinner is a good place.  So I
did it that way.  Then I left the main air duct to provide air only for
the water radiator.  The inlet has smoothed inlet to try to prevent
turbulence and get the most air to the radiator.  The outlet of the main
duct has a flap which can open up to about 70 degrees from vertical.  It
closes up to leave a gap about 1 to 1-1/4"  for air to leave the
radiator.  (Full width of duct).  I think I need to add something to
close it up further.  By restricting the exit air, you control the
entering air and thus slow down the air going thru the radiator.  BTW, I
made my cooling flap by using the "cut away" from the cowl when preparing
it for instillation.  I added two sides to create a channel for the air
to leave controlled or just let it spill over the side (not a good way).
I have my pix in a separate program and I can not figure how to retrieve
them to e-mail.  Dumb program when a novice can not retrieve a saved
pix---  I'll find a way and send them to you guys.

Jim

writes:

> Jim,
>

> Affirmative, but not sure why the mono cooling would be different.
>

> Karl
>

> From: James Nelson europajim@juno.com
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling
> Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:49:19 -0400
>
> -- Europa-List message posted by: James Nelson europajim@juno.com
>
> Karl,
>  Do you have a Mono-wheel?That model seems to have the most
> problems with high temps on the ground.If you have a Tri-Gear, It
> doesn't have cooling problems at all.In fact it runs too cool. I
> don't
> have the shroud for the top of the engine.The issue is getting heat
>
> from the water and oil while taxiing for any time on the ground.
>
> Jim
> N15JN
>
> writes:
>   -- Europa-List message posted by: "KARL HEINDL" kheindl@msn.com
>

>   Jim,
>

>   I am not sure that all that extra work is necessary. I did the
>   standard factory installation with staggered radiators, and making
>
>   sure that all air from the main scoop goes through and not around
>
>   them. I have not had any cooling problems with my 912S, even in
> very
>   hot weather. I closed the large Naca scoop in front of the oil
> tank
>   with tape, and still no cooling problem. I think that the shroud
>   over the top of the 'S' engine is very effective.
>

>   Karl
>

>   From: James Nelson europajim@juno.com
>   To: europa-list@matronics.com
>   Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling
>   Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:39:03 -0400
>
>   -- Europa-List message posted by: James Nelson europajim@juno.com
>

>   Hi Paul,
>  I did the smoothing out of the inlet all the way to the radiator.
>   I also included a cooling flap at the outlet of the duct. Ifyou
> are
>
>   doing the factory thing, make sure that NO air get around the oil
>
>   and
>   water radiators.The air will go to the path of least resistance.Use
>

>   the rubber fabric if necessary to blank off areas where the air
> will
>   go.
>   I went the unique way and redid the cooling system.I have a
> separate
>
>   oil cooling radiator (original Europa cooler) that has its own
> duct
>
>   inlet.The main large duct is only for the water radiator.It works
>
>   very well for my 912 S.I also have some pix if you want to see
> them.
>

>   Jim Nelson
>

>   europa@pstewart.f2s.com
>   writes:
>   -- Europa-List message posted by: Paul Stewart
>   europa@pstewart.f2s.com
>
>   Having read several threads rel;ating to cooling recently esp.
>   relating
> [...]
=

=

=