Re: Europa-List: Repainting the mini U2

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Repainting the mini U2
From: rlborger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:02:48

Dave,

We have already discussed my painting plans and the reasoning behind
them so I won't rehash that, but to answer your questions:

 > The plan now is to go with two possible choices. One is aerothane with
 > an epoxy primer. Unfortunately the epoxy primer doesn't have UV
 > protection ( what the heck is that anyway, really!).

The UV protection is a component of the paint that blocks UV light
preventing it from reaching the composite surface.  According to Bob
Setzer and my EAA Tech Advisor, Sonny Logan, this is extremely
important.  UV will degrade the epoxy over time resulting in
significant loss of strength of the composite structure.

 > Here is the question: Does anybody know if there is another option
for priming
 > with a UV protection that is not UV smooth prime ( seems everyone
uses that stuff)?

I do not know of another priming option.  But then, I haven't looked
for one either.

 > Also, since it has been over a year since I painted and I have a
gallon
 > left over, does anybody know what the shelf life of that stuff is?

I recommend that you contact the Ploly Fiber folks for a proper answer.
  They can be contacted through e-mail tech support on their web page
(http://www.polyfiber.com) or directly at 800-362-3490.  I have found
them reasonable folks to work with.

I hope that this helps prevent another finishing problem.

Good Building & Great Flying,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, 914, Airmaster C/S
(60%) tail kit done, wings closed, cockpit module installed, pitch
system in, landing gear frame in, rudder system in, outrigger mod in,
working chapters 23 Fuselage Top, 24 Instrument Panel, 25 Electrical &
29 Main Gear.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123