Re: Europa-List: Empty weight/XS,Turbo,Tri-gear,IFR equipped ?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Empty weight/XS,Turbo,Tri-gear,IFR equipped ?
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:38:39

> Men,
> I'm a complete novice at the XS.. my dream is to fly..wife&I  cross country.
> I need a very light XS, TURBO, TRI GEAR, IFR, W/ LONG RANGE TANKS...THE TWO OF

> US WEIGH 340, 28 GAL FULE= 168 BAGGAGE=70...I'v seen a couple A/P at 900#
> empty
> IS THERE A WAY TO DO LIGHTER ON EMPTY WEIGHT ON THIS COMBO? WHAT COMBO OF
> INSTREMENTS WOULD BE LIGHT BUT ADIQUATE FOR ILS APPROCH?? WHAT WEIGHTS DO YOU

> SEE FOR THIS COMBO?
>                       THANKS FOR YOUR HELP  JR WIS

With the aux tank (which if works OK on the trigear will impinge more into
baggage
space), you're going to be on a tight budget weight-wise.  IFR avionics need
not add much, but what really hurt are things like (IFR necessary) dual
battery/alternator,
controllable pitch prop, interior upholstery on more than the
seats, night lights, and wheel fairings.  What hurts for IFR is if you'd rather
not do IFR with only one comm and nav.  Also, too many mods you see here, though
many worthwhile, start adding up.

Only lightweight ILS I know of worth actually using down to actual 200-1/2 is
the
Narco Nav 122D.  Or a used Nav 122, but the first Narco repair bill can cancel
the savings.  Very light GPS map/comms are the Garmin/AT GX-series, letting
you get away with one VOR/LOC box -- Nav122D can $optionally$ be its CDI.  W/o
a 10-lb. ADF or faking it with enroute-only GPS, a MB rcvr is handy, and further
w/o approach-certified GPS to do the NDB overlay, when the nonfederal VOR
craps at my home field, you land elsewhere.  Or ask for vectors to the NDB 10
- it's over a big lake, duck under and track toward the Convenient Food Mart
near the shore, thence hang a right for short final to 23! IOW, serious IFR
means
weight or $$.

I'd figure on 850 at least for an IFR 914, but one way out is forget aux fuel.
Just plan for shorter legs and often shoot approaches into the darndest places
and mess with void times or picking up clearances aloft.  Can your wife do IFR
copilot chores?  :-)

Regards,
Fred F.