Re: Faulty Altitude reporting

Subject: Re: Faulty Altitude reporting
From: Augustene Brown <augustene@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:48:45
Ferg:

When I replied to your question I assumed that you knew , that with me talking
to center,  that I was on a flight plan or using flight following. That I was
on an assigned altitude and would not deviate from that assigned altitude
unless approved by the controller. At that point in time my original statement
will clear up any problem with Mode C reporting to the controller.

If you are VFR just boring holes in the sky,  and not talking to someone then
your statement is correct.

By the way if you take the plane to an avionics shop they can check what the
transponder is reporting as opposed to what the altimeter is showing. If you
are flying IFR this check has to be done every two years to remain legal.

Regards

Jim Brown