Re:

Subject: Re:
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:57:39
Augustene Brown wrote:

> Curtis;
>
> I have the Apollo GX65 GPS installed in our aircraft. I installed the GPS
> antenna
just
> as it came out of the box onto a fiberglass flange bonded behind the baggage
> compartment.  There have been no problems with acquiring signals.
>
> Jim Brown

I found reason why it's OK.  A very techy paper on mitre.org says the
problem is multipath interference.  In airborne GPS, means rec'd
signal bouncing off the structures of metal aircraft, like tail,
wings, etc.  Near the ground, off of wet areas and buildings - a big
factor for approach-certified GPS.  Hence the fussiness in the install
manuals.

Best,
Fred F.