Re: Wing Filling

Subject: Re: Wing Filling
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:58:21
Nigel, thanks for the add'l details; may be clearer to folks now.
One point though:

> Two of the Europa examples cited had show quality Schwarblac gel
> coat finish over (factory recommended) Ampreg 20/filler/colloidal-
> -silica mix.

Gel coat over Europa's filler?  From the back of the hall, "Bingo!"
If the more common polyester gel-coat, its shrinkage is easily
visible on the gray Europa parts.  Worse it (or even others) has
solvents.  Take 2 oz. by volume of packed filler, add some MEK
and mix.  Eventually there will barely be enough of the stuff left
to make you sneeze.

Those using the supplied filler and aerosol paint to look for low
spots should take note.  Or Nigel, I and many others say use
SuperFil.

> I have also seen some absolute "dogs" with undulating wing surfaces
> and paint jobs that resemble sand paper......and they seem to fly
> just as well!

How true.  The effect of surface roughness was studied long ago, and
up to a point (incl. fine sandpaper) it's insignificant.  You can
sprinkle talcum powder on a waxed wing, go flying, and wipe away
residue on return.

Regards,
Fred F., A063