Subject: seat foam

Subject: Subject: seat foam
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 11:48:13
Forwarded from the bounce bin. Message is from
mks <mks@darcy.gwis.com>

Here is a short technical explanation why energy absorbing foams are a
must have in an airplane.

Soft spongy foam in a hard landing has the unfortunate property that
it slows down the rate of descent of your body while the AC does a
hard bounce and comes back in the opposite direction - thus giving
your back a very hard whack.

Energy absorbing foams are very dense and compresses slowly.
Consequently, the foam absorbs energy during the hard landing and
your body does not get the doubling of force as in the above case
because the body and AC move together.

---From a comfort perspective, while dense foam is not as nice
initially as the soft stuff, I find it provides much better support
and comfort for long flights.

I am not familiar with the foams you mention. I use confor foam.
As long as you get an energy absorbing foam you should be fine.
I personally use about one inch thickness. The only weakness with
the confor foam is when it gets cold (freezing) it gets stiff as
a board. Warm it up and it regains compliance. Dont flex it while
it is cold or it will break.

Hope that helps,