Batteries

Subject: Batteries
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 10:26:23
Message text written by "Jerry Davis"
>There is often chat on the group about batteries. We have for sometime
sold a 13 amphr high output (400 amp) battery that weights only 4.9 kgs.
That battery has now increased in price but the next one up has dropped in
price. As a result we now stock a 14 amphr RG battery that has a massive
550 amp starting current which only weighs 5.0 kgs. I can fax details of
around 5 different starter batteries to anyone interested. Hope the group
doesn't object to my blatant advertising.
<

I have bought a 16Ahr from Jerry and I have great hopes for it. I would
suggest that it is a good idea not to buy one of less capacity for the
following reasons:-

1. Rotax recommend a minimum of 16Ahr.
2. As batteries get older their effective Ahr figure reduces.
3. I don't think its  possible to hand start a Rotax (due to the gearbox)
so a healthy battery is essential. Remember that you need at least 200rpm
to activate the ignition. With this in mind I have included an external
power connection on my Europa to enable jump starts from a car in case I
get caught out on a landaway.

Nigel Charles