Re: TP5&6 Retention Tube?

Subject: Re: TP5&6 Retention Tube?
From: Chris and Susan Beck <n9zes@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:14:52
Hi, John.  I agonized long and hard about this very thing.  Ultimately, I built
the tailplanes per the book, taking much care to roughen up the surface of the
bushes and also making very sure that I dug a good flox groove around the bushes
once they were set in with the 5 minute epoxy.  Every step of the way I made
sure
I was bonding on the actual bushing material, as after setting them in with the
5
minute and digging the foam away with the Permagrit cone on the Dremel, you'll
have 5 minute on the bushing material, which will not hold onto the flox very
well.  So far, so good, and I've rowed on them pretty good so far doing the
drive
pin bushings with no problems.  Time will tell.

Regarding the Perma-grits, I've cleaned mine with laquer thinner.  Works OK, but
maybe acetone or MEK would work better.  They don't get "new" clean, but better
than they were.  Darn tools are the best thing since sliced bread.

On another note, we had the contractor over last weekend to survey our basement
for installation of some Bilco doors, which are the "old fashioned" cellar doors
on the outside of the house. It appears that a fully bonded fuselage will be
able
to be extricated through the doorway, based upon a layout I did in AutoCAD using
the supplied dimensions of the doors and a side view of the fuse.  Installation
should be around the first week in October, so we've got a little time before we
can start the wings.  As I really don't want to try to heat a LARGE two car
garage all winter here in Wisconsin for a few winters, not to mention scraping
ice off cars and trying to use a snowblower around them, the basement entry is
the best option.  Should work great.

Chris and Sue
A159