Re: Wire Ties

Subject: Re: Wire Ties
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:54:30

>I think you're on to something. Some of the white ty-wraps I've used in the
>past have lasted, and others not. And what is the difference between the
>white and black ones, other than color. Are they made of different stuff?
>Anybody?

  The white guys are subject to ultra-violet degredation . . .
  they also don't take kindly to hyro-carbon and ozone exposure
  both of which are found in fair quantity under the cowl.

  Ty-wraps treated for better resistance to environmental
  stresses are always colored . . . most of the ones I've seen
  are either dark green or black. However, it's possible to make
  a ty-wrap from funky plastic of ANY color. When you buy them
  new in original manufacturer's packaging, it will state on the
  lable whether or not the critter is resistant to UV and/or
  chemical attack.

  My personal preference under the cowl is MS21919DGxx clamps
  and/or Dacron flat-lace (string) . . . I've seen both of these
  products work well for decades under the cowl.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com