RE: Flap closeouts...any tips welcome!

Subject: RE: Flap closeouts...any tips welcome!
From: ferdinand verveckken <ferdinand.verveckken@ping.be>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:48:53

-----Original Message-----
From:        Graham Singleton [SMTP:grasingleton@avnet.co.uk]
Sent:        dinsdag 4 januari 2000 1:52

>Is it just me .... how does the simplest line in the manual turn out to be
>such a bugger to do in real life
>After doing near perfect 2 ply layup, I then set about slitting the wetted
>out cloth with a brand new model knife....with near disasterous results to
>the layup.

No,it ain't just you.
Try and get hold of some stainless steel first aid (medical) scissors with
cranked handles and one blade serrated. They cut wet glass easily and the
crank means the blade can be parallel with the cloth without you hand being
in the way.
Made in Asia I think and usually cheap but not easy to find , in UK anyway.

Graham

I purchased very useful scissors with cranked handles, curved and
"microserrated' blades from a company in Germany,
R & G GmbH, fax ++4971578607.  Not cheap at DEM  67.20 plus postage but
easy to get.  R&G will charge your visa card.
R&G is specialized in "Faserverbundwerkstroffe" Fiber re-inforced composite
materials.
Those understanding German may find their Katalog Nr. 6 very interesting
and instructive.

After messing up some nice layups by trimming in the "leathery stage" I
learned to use another technique.
Trim to 10 mm or one half inch with the scissors in the wet stage as per
Europa manual.
Then wait for full cure and cut with a fine circular saw blade mounted on
the shaft of a delta grinder.  Saw blades approx. 3 inch diameter are made
specially for this purpose.  They will also cut aluminium, wood and mild
steel.   The blade will however not easily cut your skin.  It cuts thin and
thick fully cured layups like butter.
Remove the last mm by sanding, as per Europa manual.

Nand