Re: Mod 37, undercarriage

Subject: Re: Mod 37, undercarriage
From: Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 13:07:32
Andy replied about this few days ago, and I have been waiting for the
parts to see a bit more of what is involved.

<<The frame will fail before the structure, but not in the manner as
before>>  Please what is the evidence for this ?

<<The failure mode has changed, as one would expect, but to a more easily
identifiable part of the mechanism>>

Sorry Andy. I don't find this at all clear. If the frame won't fail which
is the identifiable part which will ? If you have tested one to failure
you must know it.

I feel aggrieved to be one of what must be a relatively small number of
builders who have to become involved in a clearly non-homebuild operation
at unknown cost, especially as those who have not put the frame in will
only have to post it to get it done for free.

The instructions which have now arrived are hardly encouraging for those
of us with nearly completed aeroplanes. e.g. people on hand with fire
extinguishers, wet rags, removal of upholstery, Coldfront barrier paste
(whatever that is) and so on. I doubt if the exhaust system can be
removed without sawing it off now that is has been wrapped, sprayed and
heat soaked solid. Who will pay for that? The factory has declined my
offer to trailer it to the factory.

Is a mandatory mod. on this scale of difficulty really justified on the
evidence ? and in view of

<<It appears that variables in overcentre geometry of LG08 and the shock
absorber, torque effects of the LG03 bearings on the lower pivot tube due
to differences in bearing tightness from aircraft to aircraft, and the
shock absorber limit stop, were all factors as to why some aircraft
suffered damage and others didn't.>>

.. surely these variables can be specified more closely to ensure the
aircraft are as the prototypes, indeed better, as we already have
additional strengthening.

gemin