Europa-List: Making an Europa pretty

Subject: Europa-List: Making an Europa pretty
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 17:47:53

Hi Europa family,

So I have been a bit quiet because I am working hard on my Europa painting
project.
And like everything Europa related, it is not letting you make it easy (well,
in this case it is not her fault) :)

I spent quite a bit of time preparing my spraying setup. I built a nice spray
booth
that took a lot of fiddling to make it reasonably clean (and then learned
that there are ways to pain at home that dont involve so much work). I built
a nice air supply system and well as booth flow to keep things smog free inside
as well as to keep neighbors happy. Anyway, that took some effort.

The came the BIG challenge. Paints these days suck big time. And guns, despite
their outreageous price, dont help either. I selected a great paint brand that
its pretty much a boutique product. If you have questions you can actually talk
to the owner (and chemist) of the company. And he told me that because of the
EPA his paints do such. But he insists they are better than other brands of
course. What is bad about them is that they spray nothing like the paints of
old. And that makes a painter of old like me suffer a lot and make a crappy job.
Barry, the owner of the paint company told me it would take a long and painful
learning curve. no he was right. But I am getting there. Mind you that I am
a bit of a perfectionist and I want a pretty Europa. Ill settle for nothing
else.

So I think that my painting story will make a nice presentation in the future,
or maybe even an Europa flier article :) I will certainly share what I have
learned
during this process since I think it is very interesting.

So far I have painted all the tail feather and are working on the ailerons and
flaps. I include a picture of one flap. Doesnt look bad but not quite to my
level
of perfectionism (a virtue it a big curse). But I know some in this forum
are even more perfectionists than me!

Anyway, I will report the progress int he future. This brutal summer heat is not
helping. But getting there.

Best,
Chris

Read this topic online here: