Europa-List: Flap rigging adjustment rqd

Subject: Europa-List: Flap rigging adjustment rqd
From: JDA <johndavidamos@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:42:13

Does anyone have any advice on adjusting the flap rigging once the initial build
has been completed? My monowheel has slightly more flap (about 1deg) on the
RHS. The upshot is that it rolls left - even with a passenger on board. I have
to carry a bit of aileron to compensate which is easily trimmed out, but because
of this the aircraft always drops a left wing in the stall - and sometimes
quite dramatically! If I stall with the stick in the middle and keep the wings
level with rudder I can sit in the heavy buffet without wing drop. Because of
the benign stick-central stall I am reluctant to use stall strips, although
this remains a last-ditch solution. I would rather fix the problem at source and
level up the flaps - it is only a tiny amount. The Europa Club archives has
some notes by Bud Yerly: he advocates trimming the flaps by shimming the flap
drive tube against the baggage bulkhead to "twist" the tube. However having
spent
a day with a torch and a lot of head scratching I cannot work out exactly
how this would work in practice - and in any case there is no bulkhead for me
to easily shim against. It seems to me that  it would be a far easier solution
to shim one of the flap drive tube brackets (FL18) on the floor of the fuselage
to raise one side of the tube - if only they weren't bonded in place! My
proposed
solution therefore is to obtain a replacement torque tube hinge arm FL16
(undrilled) from Europa, and re-drill the holes to effectively shorten the
arm and drop the flap on one side by one degree. This would cause a little
twisting,
but the whole flap assembly across the span appears flexible with a little
play - and we are only talking about 1 deg as measured at the flap which is
a tiny amount.
My questions are: has anyone successfully adjusted their flap rigging before?
How
was it done? Has anyone used Bud's solution who can explain how it works in
practice? Can anyone think of a technical objection to my own proposal above?
To answer the obvious question: I am in the UK and subject to the LAA. My
inspector
would be involved and I am already sharing my thoughts with him, but neither
of us wants to re-invent the wheel if it has been done before!

Read this topic online here: