Re: Europa-List: Re: the Obsidian Files - So Much Noise!!!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: the Obsidian Files - So Much Noise!!!
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 10:23:27

Fwiw,

Classic, mono, no fairings, panted interior, 912s, stock exhaust, factory cold
air intake plenum.

My biggliest bang was the softer lords swapout. Before with the stock rubbers
the
gear whine and harsh compression pulses excited the cabin surfaces and the
engine was the most overbearing noise.  Post rubbers, the gear whine is below
the engine, and the engine is below the 130mph cruise air noise. e-props unique
sound signature is more noticable than the WDs when pulling throttle back. I
doubt i would have heard that with the stock mounts. High freq engine noise is
far below the wind noise.  Bose do a fantastic job now.

E-props reduced the large start stop excursions (and obvious gearbox dogging)
experienced
with the WD, nullifying my previously required exhaust and oil reservoir
clearancing efforts with the softer lords.

Unhappy with bose high freq atten? Try the lightspeeds for comparison lol.

I also get a noticeable buffet from my unfared mono wheel, but havent got around
to fairing it..watching with interest if you do.

Cheers,
PeteZ

> On Mar 22, 2023, at 10:09 AM, n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Very interesting conversation guys. Part of what makes owning an Europa fun is
this type of interaction.

> I have not been able to fly the airplane enough to reach a conclusion on this
most recent mod to my plane. I only flew around 20 minutes last Friday, was
windy
and bumpy so had other worries in my mind. Tomorrow AM looks nice so will
do a short local before work but really want to do a longer x-country to be able
to provide an objective conclusion (on the subject of fatigue).

> But I hate to report that based on that short flight last Friday I did not
> find
that the mod made as large a difference as I was hoping for based on A51's
encouraging results. But again, the jury is still out.

> I think I do detect a slight difference. Maybe a little softer on the high
> frequency.
And I think it is worth keeping the change. But I was hoping for more.
Will report again after I get a few longer flights in.

> Please do keep in mind that I have a paint only interior and, as Bud
> indicated,
I too agree this is a good reason why my Europa is loud.

> Clive, I still need to go through all the tech discussion in detail (I am at
work dealing with other tech discussions) but I did buy a new Bose A 20 when I
started flying my Europa. It is incredibly effective at cutting all low
frequency
noise (prop) but all the high frequency ones seem to go right through making
it VERY annoying. In fact, I sometimes switch to my non-ANR headsets and find
the low frequency drone much more pleasant (but yes, it is louder).

> So I will continue evaluating and will provide some final thoughts later on.
And all feedback on this subject is greatly appreciated.

> I think that if I try something in the near future it will be lighter noise
> insulation
on the metal firewall, some quick prototype level interior paneling
to see if I can see a change before commuting to that route, and I really wanted
to try a wheel pant I have for the mono, maybe in hopes of deflecting air away
---From the wheel well and reducing turbulence in that area.