Re: Europa-List: Best practices, Autopilot install MOD 75 & MOD 76

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Best practices, Autopilot install MOD 75 & MOD 76
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 22:53:23

Hello Europa Community:

I am looking at upgrading my existing GRT SX-200 EFIS equipped aircraft to
autopilot
capabilities.
What would be the best practices, from lessons learned and MOD 75&76 prescribed,
to install the two lateral/vertical command GRT servos?

While the lateral component control from a servo installed under the right seat
seems rather straight forward, I am a bit concerned how to best locate and
connect
the vertical component servo to the CS10 torque tube. MOD76 suggest complete
removal of the existing CS10 torque tube and replace with a CS10/2 version
having an actuation horn affixed to. Is this the only (difficult) solution or
would a connection to the elevator pushrod or already welded on actuation horn
be a solution, without purchasing a replacement CS10/2? Perhaps welding/
riveting
a horn to the existing CS10 tube would do?

I have the GRT servos which look very similar to Dynon or Garmin AP new digital
servos - any solutions to make a metal bracket or otherwise securely attach the
servos to the aircraft would be appreciated? GRT sells metal servo brackets
for general installations.

I have a CLASSIC fuselage with original large tunnel.

It was mentioned there could be a conflict with the glider wing brake actuating
mechanism for the vertical component of the autopilot installation. EUROPA
gliders,
was there a solution found?

Thank you,
Christoph Both