Europa-List: Worn hinge play fix

Subject: Europa-List: Worn hinge play fix
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 09:42:23
=EF=BB
Hi William etal,

Oops!  Typo!  Its simple 308 SS welding rod.

And here is my post-repair update:

Although I had my 0.098=9Dpins and reamer at the ready, I found I did n
ot need to use them.

I found the 3/32 welding rod fit very nicely in stock new hinge (without the
 standard new slop, and no binding), so =9Cassumed=9D they would
 still be too small for my worn hinges.. but,  I found that when I i
nserted it into my worn hinges that it eliminated all *noticable* slop - so m
ission success (for now).  I did find that when inserting the 3/32 into the l
ess worn outer aileron hinge that it went in tight, but that is without prep
ping/cleaning the hinge of it=99s lubricant/contamination.

I can only assume that my hinges were =9Chammered=9D with a pin-
groove out of round, and the 3/32 still provided enough remaining circular c
ontact area to provide a still snug fit?  Time will tell how long this arran
gement remains play-free, but all my hinges (including the loose anti-servo t
abs) are now play-free.

I would highly recommend that all new hinges be modded with the 3/32 rod, as
 it provides more circular contact area on the pin, reducing the point conta
ct hammering effect and wear, as per original referenced lancair builder
=99s website  http://www.n91cz.com/HingePlay/hinges.htm   (thanks again to J
im Butcher!)

Fingers x=99d :-D

Cheers,
PeteZ

> On Nov 2, 2022, at 9:16 AM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com> w
rote:
> =EF=BB
> Pete
> I read your post with interest.
> My hinges have significant slop and have done from new.
> So (displaying my ignorance) were does one typically get a 3/32 3087 weldi
ng rod?  I can see 308 weld rod on line but not 3087.
> Will
> William Daniell
> LONGPORT
> +1 786 878 0246
>

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 3:21 PM Pete Zut <peterz@zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>> Indeed I won't be surprised if the new rods to fit snugly into the pounde
d out holes... that would be "too easy" lol  (but not ideal as they will pou
nd out again sooner de to uneven seating/support)

>> In case they are too tight, I have also sourced a 0.098" reamer locally (
equates to a #40 drill size).

>> Finger's x'd that this works, as the hinges on the aileron and anit-servo
 tabs are glassed in on one side :-(

>> Cheers,
>> PeteZ
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 3:08 PM Dpc <dpc@knightonweb.com> wrote:
>>> Pete
>>>
>>> Glad you managed to source what you needed from the US. Can I ask how yo
u are planning to ream out the hinges to take this new, larger pin, or are t
he hinges sufficiently worn that a 2.5mm pin will just slide in anyway?

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> David
>>> GBWJH

ld zutrasoft inc.  company.  :-D

hey are a large commercial account.

ins (a common issue for all us flyers).  Std 3/32" 3087 welding rod would be
 a terrific idea for all new builders - to replace the factory-loose pins in
 std  aviation extruded hinge material, and prevent/reduce this wear issue. S
adly, once worn, 3/32" will no longer fix a worn hinge problem.

 take my order. Is there a kind USA-based Europa-ite willing to order for me
 and re-post to me up here in Ottawa, ON, Canada K2S1L1?

 bearings to transmit rotary motion. All are precision ground to meet tight d
iameter and straightness tolerances.

ut also more difficult to machine. 316 stainless steel shafts have excellent
 corrosion resistance.

o bearings, housings, and other components during installation.