Re: Europa-List: size of aircraft data plate

Subject: Re: Europa-List: size of aircraft data plate
From: David Glauser <dglauser@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 09:50:34
Aircraft Spruce sells what they purport to be a data plate for experimental
LSA aircraft.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/dataplate09-04683.php

dg

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 9:39 AM Paul Mansfield <europaul383@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Rowland,
>
> The ANO 2016 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/765/contents/made)
> Schedule 4 Part 2 (
> https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/765/schedule/4/part/2/made) has
> exactly the same text as CAP 523 ("The nationality and registration marks
> must also be inscribed on a fire-proof metal plate affixed in a prominent
> position...") except the CAP quotes ANO 2000 ... only 16 years out of dat
> [rolls eyes].
>
> The only other reference I found is in LAA TL 2.11 (
> http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/technical_leaflets.
html)
> which states (page 2) "Another vital and indeed legally required item is
> fireproof metal plate (usually stainless steel) engraved or stamped with
> the aircraft nationality and registration marks, e.g. G-ALAA. The Air
> Navigation Order (ANO) states that this plate is to be "affixed in a
> prominent position on the fuselage". We interpret this to mean it could b
> positioned inside or outside the aircraft, preferably in or near the
> cockpit, as long as it is easily found when looked for. The ANO used to
> require also the name and address of the registered owner to be included
on
> the plate. A change in the ANO has dispensed with that requirement, which
> now means that the plate does not need changing with every change of
> ownership. Suitable plates are available from the LAA, see paragraph 4 of
> this Technical Leaflet."
>
> Which is a long and convoluted way of saying your guess is as good as our
> (although why the description of what is *not* required?!)
>
> NB The LAA-supplied plates (if still available) contain more info than is
> required - no name and address required - so I made mine out of 2 or 3 mm
> SS ~40 x 100 mm (1.5" x 4" if you're reading in black and white) and
> affixed (rivetted) it to the baggage bay rear bulkhead, TDC just above th
> D panel.
>
> HTH,
>
> Paul M
> G-PLPM
> XS Mono 912ULS

wlandcarson.org.uk%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C3b72a016d1484aca82ee08dab8e9f
712%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638025612270186854%7CUnkno
wn%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVC
I6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=Lum3vj%2B8u9j%2FfvhJFc1V9NfpgBSLs9q3EC
MyaZLl3t4%3D&amp;reserved=0