Europa-List: Re: PV-50 Prop settings

Subject: Europa-List: Re: PV-50 Prop settings
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:42:29

My 2 cents regarding low rpm operation:

I have found that my mono, with a fixed pitch DUC prop, is a fun airplane when
happily cruising at over 5000 rpm (generally at 5200) at altitude and no
turbulence.

But when doing local hops at low altitude and a little turbulence it is no fun
at all since at anything near 5000 rpm its is over 130 kias and its a harsh
ride.

So I made the decision to enjoy the plane and just throttle back to anything
between
4600 to 4900 rpm depending what my spine tolerates. I just feel for any
spot where there is an increase in vibration and stay out of it. If the gearbox
will need work in the future so be it.

On x-country trips though I am higher and have proper cruise rpm.

Is this good or bad I dunno. I was told that its not an issue. Time will tell
but
for now I am prioritizing enjoyment.

I will however take a little pitch of the prop to improve initial climb when
heavy
and warm but not much. Not really willing to give up that nice 135 knot cruise
I get now :)

Best Regards,
Chris

Read this topic online here: