Europa-List: It seems like it is always something simple.

Subject: Europa-List: It seems like it is always something simple.
From: budyerly@msn.com <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:35:29

I wanted to update you all on my latest interesting annual on N12AY.

I had a top overhaul done on my old 914 due to my over speed.  Kerry Yunk at
Lockwood
did a great job replacing my intake valves and cleaning up the seats, cylinders
and such.  I also had the gearbox done as it was nearing 500 hours.

Initial pre annual test flight after the rebuild had some pesky oil leaks,
overheating
and the typical maladies of a 914 that has sat for months due to other
priorities.

I finished my annual but after many engine runs the coolant leaks were just a
loose
hose clamp or two venting pressure. The oil drips were common from the plenum,
and the only surprises were my magnetic plug (new style) threads are a bit
loose and to seal it properly, I used some Loctite 515 to seal the threads.
I failed to properly seat my oil screen in the tank after cleaning which spit
some oil off the can.

The turbo seemed to be leaking oil.  I worried about all the areas that could be
wrong or failing.  I looked, ran the engine, and fussed over the engine.  The
clamp on the 2 inch turbo to plenum line was poorly fitted after maintenance
and I missed it.  The old adage it is always the last thing you checked was
proved
right again.

Thankfully all seems dry again.

Attached is a paper I did on N12AY putting on some drip cans I will keep with my
aircraft documentation.  I copied Ron Paragoris's oil separator idea but on
a smaller scale to test.  So far so good, and I'm a happy non greasy maintainer.
Now it's time to be a happy flier of a clean aircraft.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Read this topic online here:

Attachments: