Europa-List: Re: TriGear - storage at home vs on an airfield

Subject: Europa-List: Re: TriGear - storage at home vs on an airfield
From: Ordwood <peteordwood@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 11:19:42

Thanks for the input, all valid points
italianjon wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I have flown a mono for years, and operated it from a hangar and at home from
a trailer. I can share my experiences of both.

> Hangar - Just pull her out and fly. Drop of the hat round robins possible.
> Drop
of the hat meetings possible at no-notice.

> Trailer - Tedious! Although it is not difficult to rig and derig, which I do
at the moment, it is enough of a hassle, that my flying is reduced. There are
afternoons I look out at a blue sky and think, "Oh wow, I'll go for a round
robin",
but then think "OK, pack the car with the rigging jigs, pull the trailer
out of the garage to attach it to the car, drive to the airfield, rig the plane
on the apron, drive the trailer to a suitable area to leave it out of the way
of other airfield users, walk back to the plane, fly.... then do again in
reverse"
and I lose the motivation. When I have a friend with me, or I am meeting
up with other Europa fliers, e.g. DOTHs etc. then I keep the motivation to
push through the hassle factor.

> My personal preference is hangar, but have a trailer handy! When you need to
transport the aircraft, the trailer is available. But, it is more peace of mind,
in all of the years I have had the Europa and Trailer, I have only "had" to
trailer the aircraft for maintenance support, in a non-flyable condition, once.

> I'm on the waiting list for a hangar space at my local airfield, and I am
> looking
forward to the day that it comes!! (But I am starting to think about something
a bit further afield for a hangar space also - because I want the "Just
jump in and fly" back)

> My advice, think carefully about the hassle factor, and can you put up with
> it.
If you can then trailer at home is a good solution.

> Best
>
> Jon

Read this topic online here: