Europa-List: Re: Carb Balancing

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Carb Balancing
From: Mallard <james@kingdom.ie>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:02:22

Thanks for your assistance David but fortunately the problem isn't as bad as
that,
at least not yet! The engine is producing normal power all the way from idle
up to & including turbo boost. It just runs a bit rough @ 3500rpm. We didn't
notice it while flying & only spotted it while sitting on the ground & holding
the throttle steady @ 3500rpm.

Btw, during the last annual inspection the Carb floats were changed by my
engineer
using the Rotax supplied (foc) kit which I'm fairly sure included the Rubber
gaskets.

Also,
When we balanced the carbs we stopped all the vibrations which were present
pretty
much throughout the full rpm range. The vibrations were so bad it initially
felt like the prop was out of balance.

Regards
James

davidjoyce@doctors.org wrote:
> I would look seriously at the possibility that you have air leaking into the
carburettor bowl. This now seems to be a fairly common issue with older 914s
that
still have the old paper gaskets. Typically folk spend months and a small
fortune trying to work out what is happening before replacing the gaskets with
the new Rotax rubber ones and &lsquo;living happily ever after!&rsquo;  Tends
to produce very rough running at 3500+ rpm and reluctance to produce any greater
revs - very disturbing if taking off from a short runway! Look out the article
in Europa Flyer a year or two ago by Jim Butcher (assuming you are in the
club it is available and searchable on the website). David Joyce, GXSDJ

> On 2021-09-14 22:53, Mallard wrote:

--------
Seat of my pants

Read this topic online here: