Europa-List: Prop Pitch Tool

Subject: Europa-List: Prop Pitch Tool
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 13:44:22

Someone asked for more info on the pitch tool I made which I then retrofitted
with
a laser pointer. I am enclosing a pdf here with a template for making it.

Can't take credit since the tool itself I patterned from a friend who bought a
new prop and the tool came with it (Whirlwind). But it's just a simple plywood
tool with grooves to hold on the the LE and TE of the prop. I just glued a laser
pointer I had laying around.

I tested the tool by rotating it around and rechecking the spot position on the
ground multiple times and it is very repeatable. But you should check by noting
the position of the spot on all blades a few times after you set the pitch.
I only chocked the airplane and did the adjustment. Of course, removing the
plugs
would help but I didn't find it necessary, I just spin the prop slowly and
carefully. Don't forget to put some wood blocks under the outriggers if you
have a mono like me.

Last, don't forget to ensure the blades are at the same level position when you
test (I use a digital protractor) and the tool is at the same place radially.
But I didn't go overboard (except making sure blades are at the same position
with the protractor when you swap them.

I hope it helps.
Chris

Read this topic online here: