Europa-List: GRT EIS rpm issues

Subject: Europa-List: GRT EIS rpm issues
From: Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 08:39:54

My EIS started to give erratic rpm readings last year, it would move around from
to high to low and sometimes zero and then it began to run normal.
This year after a (few months not flying ) it ran normal for first few minutes
then erratic, now I get zero! All other EIS readings are working properly.
I spent a great deal of time checking grounds and the wire running to the ECU.
Ive checked the connection into the EIS, rechecked a number of times. Engine
running
good. I thought about the rpm pick up coil that sends the rpms to the ecu
might be issue but since the turbo is functioning properly, the ecu must be
getting rpm data from the coil?

Ive installed a tiny tach to check rpms and that indicates proper rpms.
Im now looking at pulling the EIS and sending it to GRT to test, reluctant to
send
it, with all the delays Im sure will come with that but running out of options.
The unit has worked perfect for close to 20 years, maybe old age is issue!
EIS and me!
Anyway, thought Id toss this out there, see what Im missing.
Thanks
Jerry
Mono, 914

Sent from my iPad