Europa-List: Flap limiting speed 83 kts exceeded

Subject: Europa-List: Flap limiting speed 83 kts exceeded
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 10:01:09

One of our group members got distracted during climb out after take off, while
the flaps remained extended to 18 degrees. Shortly his speed reached or slightly
surpassed 100 knots, so the exceedance was about 20 knots before he quickly
stowed the flaps.

After carefully examining all the flap hinge plates, the fibre-glass surrounding
where they are embedded, hinges inside the fuselage and surrounding structure,
flap root pins and the flap root structure generally, flap push-pull rod and
lever, no evidence of damage could be found. Subsequent flight confirmed that
the flaps seem to be in perfect working order. It also seems that the whole
construction is commendably robust.

So my questions are "How is the flap limiting speed determined by the designer
and what if any factor is allowed in calculations for possible overloads?"

Read this topic online here: