Re: Europa-List: Re: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 19:13:17
Chris, Two suggestions to avoid bouncing:  firstly hold off until the
speed has decayed enough that you touch down tail wheel first.
Effectively avoid putting the  wheel on the ground, holding off just off
the ground until the plane lands itself. If you touch down too fast the
AOI is inevitably such that you touch main wheel first and you cannot
avoid a bounce. Secondly if you have a reasonable amount of runway to
play with you can touch down with the throttle slightly open and shut it
at the point of touch down. I prefer the first of these approaches but
it does take a while to get really comfortable with it. If you do
decouple the flaps and gear, you have one extra thing to get wrong and
will add considerably to your chances of landing wheels up when you find
yourself stressed or distracted.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ