Europa-List: Larger oil cooler - Classic

Subject: Europa-List: Larger oil cooler - Classic
From: michalm <m.milos@me.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 23:47:56

Hello fellow Europa enthusiasts!

I'm trying to solve the oil cooling issue in my 912 ULS powered Classic. I have
the standard cooling setup with a 10 row oil cooler behind the port radiator
and slightly enlarged cowl outlets. On hot days (30 C) and loaded to max weight
I very quickly reach 120 C oil temp during a climb of just 2000 ft. If I let
it cruise a bit it will go down to 115 C within a few minutes, 110 C if I reach
cooler air higher up. The coolant stays below 90 C, except the climb phase
where it reaches around 100 C. So far after reading your past discussions I came
up with 2 possible solutions:
1. Moving the oil cooler below the spinner.
2. Installing an oil/water heat exchanger to supplement the oil cooler.

The first is a bit invasive and as I'm not the original builder I don't feel
fully
confident to perform, yet. The second one is tempting but I thought about
trying a simpler solution first: exchanging the oil cooler for a larger model.
Mocal makes various sizes - the 13 row should fit without issues and perhaps
the 16 row version will fit as well (if it can clear the exhaust pipe).

Has anyone tried this approach? How effective this may be without enlarging the
cowl outlets? According to charts on Mocal website I should expect a reduction
of oil temp of around 8 C (16 row vs 10 row), but that assumes a free air flow
which is most likely not the case inside the cowling.

Read this topic online here: