Re: Europa-List: blue foam

Subject: Re: Europa-List: blue foam
From: Jeffrey Williams <jeffwill55@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 16:18:45
Will,

Yes, dense styrofoam is something you can get at a hardware or home
improvement store in the USA.  Extruded polystyrene insulation (XPS) is
manufactured using a process of extrusion, and has a closed cell
structure. As an example, Dupont Styrofoam=84=A2 Insulation (Blue
Board) is a nonstructural, rigid board insulation manufactured of XPS
foam. Since it is insulating material for buildings, you can buy it in
bulk - truck (or lorry) loads if you=99d like.

All you need is some foam dense and rigid enough to hold the shape you
want, and to be smooth enough so the resulting fiberglass surface will
be smooth too.

XPS should work.

However, if you want, you can also get styrofoam from places like
Aircraft Spruce, but it is a bit pricey. They have large cell and small
cell versions of the stuff.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/building_materials/bm/menus/cm/f
oam.html
<https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/building_materials/bm/menus/cm/
foam.html> (They probably just buy it from Home Depot and mark up the
price.)

I would expect the folks at Aircraft Spruce could ship it to the UK, but
I don=99t know for sure.

For what it=99s worth, I have some leftover chunks of blue foam,
but I am in the USA.

Regards,

Jeff W.

<wdaniell.longport@gmail.com> wrote:

> Blue foam i believe is known as xps ...this is available at the big
home improvement stores here in the usa.

> Can anyone confirm this?
>
> I have used this for small project like air scoops and seat supports
and it certainly seems close to the europa supplied blue foam.

 http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk <http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/>

target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution