Europa-List: RE: Is 160 F too cold?

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Is 160 F too cold?
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 08:52:09

Hi William,

As far as engine damage, I cant say.  However, it is outside the recommended
temperature
range specified by Rotax.   I had contemplated installing an oil thermostat
to solve the same issue, and decided to fabricate a cowl flap instead.
 Works very well.

I close it off completely for engine start and initial warm up.   I then either
open or close it to maintain CHT/oil temps in the specified range.  As a bonus
I pick a few knots in cruise, especially in the winter months when, I have it
almost completely closed.

In use a small electric actuator to move the flap.  I dont have the standard
Europa
firewall forward, so my installation is different.  However, Jim Butcher
fabricated a similar cowl flap for the Europa XS. He usually monitors the forum.

Regards,
Erich