Re: Europa-List: Airbox for 912S

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Airbox for 912S
From: D McFadyean <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 17:36:16

Steve,
The air entry to the carbs is quite critical and should ideally be smooth and
tapering
inwards from a larger diameter, which the Europa airbox more or less achieves.
Generally a 2 degree inward taper will help to preserve lamina flow in
the runner, as is often seen on the runners of injected engines.
This is further evidenced by the adverse impact on carburation that sharply
curved
SCAT tube and/or long parallel-sided runners has, such as on some Jabiru and
VW installations.

Duncan McF.

> On 03 September 2020 at 15:30 Jeff B <topglock@cox.net> wrote:
>

> Steve, you should be fine as long as the internal diameter of the tube
> is equal to or greater than the internal diameter of the carb opening.
>
> Jeff
>
> "I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is to arrange
> the meeting."
>
> -Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
>
> On 9/3/2020 8:40 AM, Steven Pitt wrote:
> >
> > I have had to repair my airbox as it split under the clamp.
> > Can anyone tell me how critical the airflow into the carburettors via the
> > box
is? Do I need to ensure a smooth and equal airflow?

> > I suspect not as the quality of the airbox is somewhat rudimentary.
> >
> > For information I made up some bid' tube and epoxied it into the existing
> > airflow
tube. I have tried to make the entrance a smooth as possible.