Europa-List: Re: Propeller? Gearbox? "Wow-wow-wow" resonance

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Propeller? Gearbox? "Wow-wow-wow" resonance
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 18:12:24

Bud and friends,

Today I found what I believe is the "smoking gun" i.e. the possible cause of the
strange "wow-wow-wow" resonance. While standing in front of the aircraft I saw
that the propeller spinner is now displaced about 5mm to the left and is sagging
about 4 mm. On standing closer it was easy to see that the 2 screws which
secure the upper cowl nearest the spinner, are no longer equally spaced either
side of the spinner. Voila!

Off came the cowls and a couple of hours were spent closely investigating both
the engine bearer frame ( a la Neville Eyre ) which is built to battleship
standards
and the undercarriage frame which was found to be crack free and as strongly
secured to the fuselage tunnel as ever. A friend assisted by repeatedly
lifting the engine up and down and side to side, while I used a strong light and
felt all over for evidence of movement due to cracking. Then we swapped roles,
before reaching the conclusion that both frames are sound and solid.

So all this suggests to me that it could be time to replace the Lord engine
suspension
rubbers, which haven't been replaced in living memory or 12+ years! But
I seem to recall that there was a bit of indignation in this forum about the
excessive hardness of rubbers supplied by Europa. Please refresh my memory and
let me know if the hardness problem was ever resolved.

I've tried a search and trawling through various topics, to little avail. All I
could find was someone's query about MT04 and Lord J 3608-1.

Read this topic online here: